[open-bibliography] Orphan data

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Fri Mar 2 15:49:17 UTC 2012

On 3/2/12 1:24 AM, Owen Stephens wrote:

> While I would certainly encourage this organisation to take the risk as
> Peter suggests (and at the very least, do a risk assessment to ensure
> they understand the issues), I wonder if publishing with a 'no known
> restrictions' type statement might be another way of doing this.

Yes, this is the kind of thing I am looking for. Can we come up with a
standard way, not unlike CC, that states: we have no idea who owns this
stuff, no one is claiming ownership, etc. etc. As more and more data
(and metadata) comes onto the web we will have more of these situations.
If nothing else, there should be a way for the holder of a piece of
information to say: "I'm not claiming any rights, not even physical
ownership rights, over this data once it leaves my database."

kc

The