[open-bibliography] Enabling Attribution of Author Credit and Scholarly Contributions

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Thu May 3 13:58:42 UTC 2012

David, I just gave ScoRO a quick look, but I wonder if you've mocked up
data to test it out? The main thing that struck me is that it is a mix
of "having" and "being", which I'm thinking might be awkward. As an
example, there is "has authorship role" and "controlled project
finances". In the library data I've been working on we've been trying to
get away from the "has role" and moving it to "is".

Melville --> is author --> Moby Dick

rather than

Melville --> has author role in relation to --> Moby Dick

However, I may be mis-interpreting your intention, which is why I ask
about mockups of data, which are easier to understand usually than
reading through an ontology.

One other thing: have you run this past folks in the humanities? I'm
thinking fine arts, music. I always find that they have an entirely
different view of things from STM.

If I get a chance, I'll look through the other ontologies as well. I
think your SPAR is a very interesting project!

kc

http://purl.org/spar/scoro/Exemplar_Report_Form.xls

>        The information from this exemplar form, as a human-readable Word
> document, available at
> http://purl.org/spar/scoro/Authorship_contributions.docx
>
>        The information from this exemplar form, as a machine-readable
> RDF document (Turtle format), available at
> http://purl.org/spar/scoro/Exemplar.ttl
>
>        A PowerPoint presentation for the Harvard Workshop, explaining
> all this,
available at