[open-bibliography] More needed to define "open"

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 23 16:01:35 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:

> All,

Good points

> We've done a good job of defining the license terms for open bibliographic
> data, but there is another step that seems essential that we haven't
> addressed: making the data openly available, and what that means. One can
> announce a data license of CC0 but if the data itself is behind a paywall,
> or otherwise isn't available for use, then the license isn't doing anyone
> any good.
>
> if it's CC0 then it is possible for someone to extract the data and copy
it and mount it publicly. So if that is disallowed it is not CC0.

> It seems to me that there are at least 2 ways that data becomes truly open:
>
> 1. There is a data dump that is openly available to anyone who wishes to
> download it. This solution has problems relating to updating, however, and
> puts the burden of making the data usable on the recipient. It's a
> solution, but perhaps not the best.

Statics dumps are much easier to create than continually updated resources
and if they are of high quality can be very valuable. They are much easier
to work with.

> 2. The data owner provides an open interface that allows searching and
> linking. Linking needs to be bi-directional -- that the data can link out,
> but also that others can "link in."

The main requirement IMO is that it is possible to know the extent of the
data and *if necessary* download it systematically. That's the only way
that it is truly open - it can be forked.

I am not sure that link-in is always valuable. Can you explain? would all
consumers link in?

> I've probably expressed this poorly, but that should just give others an
> incentive to develop this thought further. :-)
>
> kc
> --
> Karen Coyle
> kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net