[open-bibliography] More needed to define "open"

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Apr 23 15:05:55 UTC 2013

All,

We've done a good job of defining the license terms for open
bibliographic data, but there is another step that seems essential that
we haven't addressed: making the data openly available, and what that
means. One can announce a data license of CC0 but if the data itself is
behind a paywall, or otherwise isn't available for use, then the license
isn't doing anyone any good.

It seems to me that there are at least 2 ways that data becomes truly open:

1. There is a data dump that is openly available to anyone who wishes to
download it. This solution has problems relating to updating, however,
and puts the burden of making the data usable on the recipient. It's a
solution, but perhaps not the best.

2. The data owner provides an open interface that allows searching and
linking. Linking needs to be bi-directional -- that the data can link
out, but also that others can "link in."

I've probably expressed this poorly, but that should just give others an
incentive to develop this thought further. :-)

kc
--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net