[open-bibliography] Wikimedia project for creating open bibliographic data

Asaf Bartov asaf.bartov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 21:49:08 UTC 2013

Hi, everyone.

First of all, an important clarification: While I work for the Wikimedia
Foundation, this is _not_ a Foundation, or even a Wikimedia, initiative.  I
just put up that page on the Wikimedia Meta-wiki as a natural brainstorming
space, and because I am personally a longtime Wikimedia volunteer and think
the Wikimedia community is a natural community to take part, but this is
(so far!) only a personal initiative, in my capacity as library metadata
geek, hacker, and digital librarian (all volunteer roles).

I do hope lots of Wikimedians and others join, and the sign-ups on the wiki
page[1] so far are inspiring!  Thank you! :)

Since this was posted, I have elaborated the proposal a bit (still on the
same wiki page) and added a concrete example, and have also answered some
questions on the "Discussion" page behind it[2].  Please do take a(nother)
look!

I would be delighted to discuss collaboration with absolutely anyone
working on open bibliography compatible with my basic terms (primarily
volunteer labor, free software, open Web standards).  I'd like to
centralize discussion though, so if at all possible, let's keep refining
the idea on the Meta page[1] and discussion on its talk page[2].  If for
some reason you find you can't contribute there, go ahead and contribute on
this list.  I'd appreciate an explicit CC to ensure I see this, as I handle
huge amounts of e-mail.

Thanks,

   Asaf

[1]