[open-bibliography] Inviting community engagement on building a bibliographic roadmap

Thomas Krichel krichel at openlib.org
Sun Jan 20 04:43:48 UTC 2013

  Mark MacGillivray writes

> Crossref are also working on providing bibJSON bib metadata by content
> negotiation. From what I have seen, what it provides is only whatever the
> publishers have provided and in a lot of cases it is unfortunately not very
> useful - for example, not including title and authors or any unique ID.

  Do you have an example? You mean there are papers where the HTML
  returned in a query that resolves a  DOI to a publisher's pages
  suggests that the item described by the DOI has a title but
  the DOI metadat in RDIF or BibTex returned does not? How does
  that compare to the item metadata in SIGG (if and when you find
  it in SIGG, which itself is a hit and miss). I have written
  a rebot to query SIGG from AuthorClaim claimed items.
  I found the metadata in reasonable shape, but sometimes with hideous
  charset issues, with some fields encoded in latin-1, others in utf-8.
  Absence of titles in these record means the items does not have one.

  SIGG is here

http://labs.crossref.org/site/crossref_metadata_search.html

  my engine is at

http://sigg.openlib.org

  The records are exposed through the OKFN sponsored 3lib project.

ftp://ftp.3lib.org/amf/3lib/crossref/

  Oops, this page suggests no updates since October, I have
  to check what happened there.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                      http://authorprofile.org/pkr1