[open-bibliography] OCLC agrees to CC0 with Sweden

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 14 11:34:15 UTC 2014

That's very good news. Do we assume that the records originally "belonged"
to OCLC because they built the system. Is there anything specially related
to national libraries in this?

When we started the JISC Open Bibliography project (was it 5 years ago?)
one goal was to work with the BL on Open Bibliography and during the
project they released the Brit Nat Bibliography as CC0. Other national
libraries have followed suit. So can we now make an effective case that
this should be the norm for all national libraries?

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:

> I don't have the details of the contract, but I have learned that, after
> about 10 years of discussions, OCLC has agreed that the National Library of
> Sweden can release OCLC-derived records in its LIBRIS catalog under a CC0
> license. This is good news, and let's hope that it sets a precedent for
> other libraries.
>
> kc
>
> --
> Karen Coyle