[open-bibliography] OCLC agrees to CC0 with Sweden

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Fri Feb 14 11:57:36 UTC 2014

On 2/14/14, 3:34 AM, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
> That's very good news. Do we assume that the records originally
> "belonged" to OCLC because they built the system.

The gist of OCLC's justification is that they have put a lot of effort
into maintaining record quality. They not only store them, they also
merge duplicate records, update records with new authority information,
and make changes necessitated by changes in the MARC formats. For
records that come into the database in non-MARC formats, they transform
the records into decent MARC. In terms of protecting the OCLC database,
I think it's obvious that they have that right. It's once the records
leave OCLC that the question comes up. I think of it as something like
the US "first sale" doctrine: once you've sold something to someone
else, it's theirs, and you can no longer control it. It is the attempt
to control down-stream use that goes too far.

  Is there anything
> specially related to national libraries in this?

Not that I know of.

> When we started the JISC Open Bibliography project (was it 5 years ago?)
> one goal was to work with the BL on Open Bibliography and during the
> project they released the Brit Nat Bibliography as CC0. Other national
> libraries have followed suit. So can we now make an effective case that
> this should be the norm for all national libraries?

That might be a stretch given legal and situational differences. (There
are over 150 national libraries that participate in IFLA, if I remember
correctly.) But it could surely be an aspiration.

kc

--
Karen Coyle