[open-civil-society] Introducing open-civil-society

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 10:53:27 UTC 2011

Think this is one of the key points. That (closed) data is increasingly
being used by the private sector, and open data is a key tool to avoid
disempowering civil society further. We already have the data-haves and
have-nots, and civil society (and government) is in the have-nots camp, as
even if they have the data they often don't have the skills to use it or
ability to see they'd benefit from sharing it.

> 6)     If we do nothing the private sector will be all over this agenda
> like a rash and we will be so far behind it will be impossible to ever catch
> up.
>
> Chris
OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture