[open-civil-society] Introducing open-civil-society

Rhodri Davies RDavies at cafonline.org
Thu Aug 4 11:30:23 UTC 2011

Hello David et al,

Thanks for sorting this list out. In the interest of getting a feel for
who is on here (and because it is a rainy Thursday in early August, so I
have time to!), I thought I would throw in my penny's worth.

I'm working on the policy side of things, concerned mainly with
charitable giving, philanthropy, CSR, and social investment. The open
data agenda hasn't necessarily had a major impact on this yet, but I
think it will become increasingly relevant in the future, and it is
something I am personally interested in so I have taken it upon myself
to keep a watching brief.

I am primarily interested in what open data will mean for the voluntary
sector in terms of the information it collects and uses itself. That
isn't to say that I'm not interested in how we use open data from other
sources (corporates, govt etc), as there is definitely potential for
using freely-available data in far more imaginative ways and combining
it with the information we collect ourselves. As part of what CAF does,
we collect a whole bunch of primary data about giving habits and trends
(amongst other things), which at the moment is only published in
resolutely closed formats and is not particularly cross-referenced with
other data sets. I'm hoping that in the future we will take on board an
open data approach both in terms of our own data and the way that we use
data gathered by others. Although I hasten to add that it isn't
necessarily in my power to do more than nudge the organisation in that
direction!

A few of the issues I'm considering at the moment are:

- What does open data mean for the competitive advantage of charities?
(I know in an ideal world this wouldn't be an issue, as all charities
would be willing to subsume their own interests under the "struggle for
the common good", but in reality, when there is funding at stake, this
isn't the case). How do you convince organisations to share their data
when knowledge might be their main asset?

- How do you allay the fears of organisations that worry about losing
ownership of data, and having it used in ways they don't agree with? Can
you convince people that the benefits of open data outweigh the
potential downsides of data being used to support arguments you don't
agree with?

- Are there issues around loss of trust if charities openly publish
data? Even if data can be effectively anonymised, is there an impact on
the relationship a charity has with its supporters or beneficiaries if
they have concerns about how collected data might be used?

I'll be really interested to find out what other people's areas of
interest are, and to be pointed in the direction of any good examples of
interesting open data approaches in the sector. Looking forward to
seeing where this goes!

Rhodri

Rhodri Davies

Policy Manager

<http://www.cafonline.org/Default.aspx?page=17286&WT.mc_id=911>

Tel: 03000 123 221

Mob: 07827 938 972

Web: www.cafonline.org <http://www.cafonline.org>

Twitter: @Rhodri_H_Davies, @cafonline

Facebook: CAF
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Charities-Aid-Foundation/33551692778>

London Office: St Andrew's House, 18-20 St Andrew Street, London, EC4A
3AY

Head Office: 25 Kings Hill Avenue, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4TA

Registered Charity Number 268369
<http://www.cafonline.org/Default.aspx?page=17286&WT.mc_id=911>