[Open-companies] Hello!

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 22:16:30 UTC 2011

Kaitlin

Great to hear from you, and looking forward to seeing you at OGD. Have a
look at OpenCorporates.com as a starting point, which use the company
numbers issued by the company registries to form an open id/URI -- unlike
the proprietary DUNS number for example. Both Ellen and Tom Lee have said
nice things about OpenCorporates.

The IDs (and the Google Refine reconciliation service) are already being
used by OpenSpending, and so are a good start, and we've already got 9 US
states, and should be importing California in the next couple of weeks.

There are of course other ID problems still to be solved -- from
non-corporate entities (do PACs fall into that category?) to unincorporated
bodies, e.g. unlimited partnerships to IDs for government bodies. There's
also the question of mapping other ID systems to the legal identifiers, and
other data, and would be really helpful to get your take on this.

Kind regards

Chris
OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture