[Open-contentmining] Thanks and potential topics

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 09:50:33 UTC 2013

Many thanks to Jenny Molloy and Katelyn Rogers for setting up this list.

Last night we had a get-together in London catalysed by PLoS with
representation from OKFN, BioMedCentral, CrossRef, eLife, ... all the usual
suspects ... and there was lots of discussion about content mining and I
encouraged people to post their ideas to this list.

Here are some potential topics:

* what's a responsible way to run a crawler over content?
* what are current practises obtaining content
* what are the legal and contractual aspects of CM?
* what types of content can be mined? What are the technical, social,
contractual bases?
* what software exists?
* how do I do Natural language processing
* what can I get from images?
* where can we put the mined content?
* where can we find dictionaries for annotating content?
* where's the next meeting on content-mining?

etc.

If you start a topic make it clear (e.g."mining monochrome images", not
"our last skype meeting"). If the topic drifts, consider starting a new
one. try to excise previous (indented) replies unless they are really
important - remember that unsighted humans and also machines might wish to
read this list.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics