[Open-data-census] [okfn-discuss] A question about the Open Data census scoring system

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Fri Aug 2 08:58:14 BST 2013

Thanks for the feedback Tracey - the Census team will take it on board in
our preparation this year. We'll be kicking things off properly in a week
or two.

We plan to focus on country-level data for 2013, and to get that really
robust; cities and provincial level data may follow in subsequent years,
depending on resources.

Best regards,

Laura

On 1 August 2013 16:30, Tracey P. Lauriault <tlauriau at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> on open data so can we.  The OKNF, if it is to be the voice on this, cannot
> afford to release data like the last census, even in the face of a great
> press release and a G8 media opportunity, as that downgrades your
> credibility with scientists and statisticians.
>
> I will be moving to Ireland for a 5 year post, and hope to be able to pop
> by and visit at some point, and would be glad to help out as I can.
>
> Cheers
>

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Ivan Begtin <ibegtin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Rufus,
>>    I think that methodology is great, at least it helps us a lot to
>> promote open data here in Russia.
>> Right now our officials very seriously would like to climb to 2-3 places
>> in open data census rating.
>>
>> Russia is also federal state and we have about 83 regions (so called -
>> federal subjects) and about 24 000 municipalities.
>>
>>  And I think that another dimension of the rating is important - how data
>> is published.
>>
>> For example. One of russian regions, Permsky krai, created so called
>> "open data portal" which actually is not about open data -
>> http://opendata.permkrai.ru. It's just some kind of document search
>> system integrated with analytical OLAP engine .
>>
>> It's not really opendata - it's "cargo cult" and we criticize them a lot.
>>
>> We are ready to help with methodology.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>    Ivan Begtin
>>
>> Director of NP "Informational Culture"
>> Co-Chair of Russian Open Government Data Council
>> website: http://infoculture.ru
>>

>> 2013/8/1 Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>
>>
>>>  On 1 August 2013 10:24, Tatyana Tolsteneva <tatyanatolsteneva at gmail.com

>>> No worries :-) (Just making sure not a confusion as opposed to typo!)

>>> Yes this is a very good idea and we'll get moving on this right away.
>>> Any suggestions for specific things to include or language are very welcome!
>>>
>>> Rufus
>>>
>>> Yours sincerely,

>>> --
>>> *
>>>
>>>  Rufus Pollock
>>>
>>> Founder and Executive Director | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>
>>>
>>> The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>
>>>
>>> Empowering through Open Knowledge
>>> http://okfn.org/ | @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN> | OKF on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>|
>>> Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>  |  Newsletter<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>
>>>
>>> *

>> --
>> С уважением,
>>   Иван Бегтин
>>
>> Директор НП "Информационная культура"
>> email: ibegtin at infoculture.ru
>> phone: +7 499 500 96 58, +7 910 426 68 83
>> website: http://infoculture.ru

> Tracey P. Lauriault
> Post Doctoral Fellow
> Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre

*

Dr Laura James

Co-Director  | skype: laura.james  |  @LaurieJ <https://twitter.com/LaurieJ>

Empowering through Open Knowledge