[Open-data-census] open-data-census Digest, Vol 7, Issue 1

Ivo Babaja ivobab at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 14:58:58 UTC 2013

Dana 3.12.2013. 13:00, open-data-census-request at lists.okfn.org die snappish:

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:33:00 +0100
> From: Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler at wikimedia.de>
> To: open-data-census <open-data-census at lists.okfn.org>
> Subject: [Open-data-census] Refinement of the categories of
> 	census.okfn.org
>
> Greetings,
>
> <snip>
>
> * The definition for "Is it openly licensed?" is flawed: "It is vital
> that a licence is available (if there's no licence, the data is not
> openly licensed).". Especially legal texts are often not subject to
> copyright, there is no need for a license in order to be freely
> reusable.
>
> Mathias

I agree, and I interpreted Croatian census data this way.
There is obviously a difference between US and (continental) EU in usage
of licenses for intellectual property.

Worldwide, the approaches are probably even more diverse.
I believe it is best to stick with "it all comes down to effect".
If data is free to use, with no legal or practical obstacles, that is it
- for now.

Regards,
Ivo