[Open-data-census] Research access to government census and survey data in African countries

Lynn Woolfrey lynn.woolfrey at uct.ac.za
Thu Nov 14 13:32:53 UTC 2013

The list might be interested to check out the results of 2 surveys I conducted on access to government data in African countries. My focus was on access to unit record (raw) data from government surveys. Access at this level important because aggregated results don't allow any in-depth analysis of economic and social situation in a country.
Although the results of my surveys were disappointing they are an improvement on the past.
The full paper - DataFirst Technical Paper 22 - can be accessed at http://www.datafirst.uct.ac.za/home/index.php?/Papers/

Lynn

Lynn Woolfrey
Manager, DataFirst
Room 3.48.5
New School of Economics Building
Middle Campus
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7700
PH: +2721 6505707
C: 072 391 3777
http://www.datafirst.uct.ac.za<http://www.datafirst.uct.ac.za/>

UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.