[Open-data-census] Census questions from Russia

Ivan Begtin ibegtin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 10:48:12 BST 2013

Hi Rufus!

>> It's a difficult one (shared by many others, I assume). Do you remember
>> how you approached this back in June?
>> I would suggest perhaps focusing on the most prominent dataset available
>> on national level, if any, or any other data set that might classify as the
>> most important one, and submit that with a copy/paste of your explanation
>> from this email in the comments field.
>>

> On the website description of dataset is:
>
> Timetables of major government operated (or commissioned) *national-level*
> public transport services (bus, train, etc). The focus here is on national
> level services (not those which operate *only* at a municipal or city level
> and which are not controlled or regulated by the national government)
>
> There are situations where:
>
> a) The government does not operate or commission any national level
> services. In the case of fully private railroads, buses etc (e.g. US?) we
> could either say "Not Applicable" to this question (a new option!) or we
> could expand to say we include even private operators because this is core
> national infrastructure where at least data should be open
>
> b) What about case of private but government regulated like in the UK for
> trains? Here I feel central government could still ensure timetables were
> available (so perhaps we need to tweak the description).
>
> c) We are *not* interested in municipal level services. Now I know some
> train stuff is municipal and some national but you'd focus on the national
> here ...

Thats's all about how government works.
Here in Russia we have three government agencies that regulate
transportation:
- Roszheldor - Rial Transport (and one all-govenment state enterprise
"Russian Rail"
- Rosmorflot - sea and river transport regulation
- Rosaviation - aviation transport regulation

They have different level of openness. Most of the data about rail and avia
transport is available, but not free (for personal use only) and not
machine readable. At the same time data about water transport is mostly
unavailable.

So I think that this topic also needs disaggregation.

>> As I understand those data are not available from same source? This
>> category is meant to focus on the availability of general pollution, and in
>> case these data are only available under separate conditions and from
>> separate sources, I would love to hear from the rest of the community if
>> this is the case elsewhere (so we can learn from that) and in any case,
>> suggestions and ideas for how it may be approached?
>>

> Concrete examples of the exact situation here would be very valuable - I
> think one clear thing is a desire to disaggregate a bit more (but that
> makes it more difficult cross-country). We could certainly add some
> concrete examples here - e.g. radiation, toxic chemicals etc

I agree, disaggregation would be helpful. I suggest following sub-topics:
- CO2 emission disclosure (e.g. Kioto protocol data)
- toxic pollutants incidents and ongoing monitoring
- radiation incidents and monitoring
- list of major pollution sources (factories,  thermoelectric power
stations and so on).

--
Best Regards,
   Ivan Begtin

NGO "Infoculture", Director
email: ibegtin at infoculture.ru
phone: +7 499 500 96 58, +7 910 426 68 83
website: http://infoculture.ru