[Open-data-census] Urgent Census update - new Review guidelines

Christian Villum christian.villum at okfn.org
Thu Oct 3 15:13:59 BST 2013

Dear Country Editors,

Great to see all the awesome work you’re all doing meeting the first-round
deadline yesterday.

We have been reviewing the new 2013 submissions and feedback and in some
cases it is clear that we need to be stricter in our reviews. Hence we have
put together some further guidance:

   -

   Answers must refer to the official government data source irrespective
   of whether non-official versions of the data are more open or accessible
   etc.
   -

   We need to ensure there is evidence to back up specific claims - for
   example, if data is listed as available should be a URL to the specific
   dataset on a relevant official website, if data is openly licensed there
   should be a link in the details to the specific terms of use of that
   licence.
   -

   We need to be consistent and accurate - to help here we have updated and
   clarified the dataset information and question information (for example,
   what does machine readable mean)

This new documentation and concrete guidelines are now embedded in the
Submission <http://2013.census.okfn.org/country/submit/> and the Review
form (it can also be found on the FAQ page <http://2013.census.okfn.org/faq>
).

ACTION: Please go to the contribute
page<http://2013.census.okfn.org/contribute/>and select your country
to check how your data lines up against the
guidelines.

There’s also still time to add new information - many countries do not yet
have complete data.

We would like to complete this second-round entry and review phase by midnight
GMT next Monday 7th October.

Great work everyone, keep it up!

- Christian & the Census team

PS: We’re in the process of updating the scoring system based on feedback
which will now be weighted to reflect importance of factors.

--

Christian Villum

Community Manager, Open Government Data + Local Groups Network
skype: christianvillum  |  @villum <http://www.twitter.com/villum>
*Empowering through Open Knowledge
*http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on