[Open-data-census] Dataset Definitons

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Oct 3 17:56:37 BST 2013

Based on this feedback we have just tweaked a couple of dataset
descriptions:

Spending is now:

Government spending at a detailed transactional level, that is at the level
of month to month government expenditure including, for example, money
spent on specific contracts or with specific vendors. (Note: just a
database of contracts awarded or similar is *not* sufficient. This requires
detailed ongoing data on *actual* expenditure)

Postcodes:

Database of postcodes / zipcodes and their corresponding geolocations (that
is the boundaries / areas corresponding to those postcodes).

Regards,

Rufus

On 3 October 2013 09:05, Andrew Stott <andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com> wrote:

> There are pretty extensive definitions of the “Data Availability
> Questions” in the “Propose Revisions” screen – which expand on the
> summaries in the tooltips on the Country screen.****
>
> ** **
>
> However some of the definitions of the “Datasets” are less extensive.  ***
> *
>
> ** **
>
> For instance I have been doing some comparisons of the datasets offered by
> various countries under “Postcodes/Zipcode” and “Government Spending”.****
>
> ** **
>
> For Postcodes the definition which comes up on the “Propose Revisions”
> screen is simply “Database of postcodes / zipcodes and their corresponding
> geolocations.”  A key point to ensure consistency is what constitutes
> “geolocation”?****
>
> ** **
>
> For Government Spending the definition is “Government spending at a
> detailed transactional level, that is at the level of month to month
> government expenditure including money spent on specific contracts or with
> specific vendors.”  For at least one country the link is to a (very good
> and extensive) *contract* database, which meets the contract point but does
> not seem to give detailed, month by month, transactions.  (Perhaps we
> should also have an additional dataset category for “contracts”, but that
> it is a different point)****
>
> ** **
>
> Are more extensive definitions available for this and other datasets,
> either as formal statements or in guidance derived from discussion on
> mailing lists etc please?  I cannot find anything much in the archives of
> this list.****
>
> ** **
>
> Regards****
>
> ** **
>
> Andrew****

*

Rufus Pollock

Founder and Executive Director | skype: rufuspollock |
@rufuspollock<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>

Empowering through Open Knowledge
http://okfn.org/ | @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN> | OKF on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>|