[Open-data-census] Dataset Definitons

Ivan Begtin ibegtin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 10:09:53 BST 2013

Dear Andrew,
   I agree and I would like to add that not government finances data is not
only contracts data.

I think that government grants and government contracts are different
datasets. Also we have different "dimensions" of procurement data.

For example Russian procurement open data is very detailed and  Russian
Government opens data on:
- tender announcements
- tender protocols
- contracts
- grants
- government budgets
- government bodies (e.g. hospitals, schools, universities) budgets and
other data on financial performance

Yes, we have no data as about international development like IATI, but we
hope to get in 2014-2015

So I suggest to create "Government finances" topic and sub-aggregate to:
- tender announcements
- tender protocols
- contracts
- grants
- government budgets
- government bodies (e.g. hospitals, schools, universities) budgets and
other data on financial performance
- international development disclosure

Best Regards,
  Ivan Begtin

2013/10/3 Andrew Stott <andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com>

> There are pretty extensive definitions of the "Data Availability
> Questions" in the "Propose Revisions" screen - which expand on the
> summaries in the tooltips on the Country screen.****
>
> ** **
>
> However some of the definitions of the "Datasets" are less extensive.  ***
> *
>
> ** **
>
> For instance I have been doing some comparisons of the datasets offered by
> various countries under "Postcodes/Zipcode" and "Government Spending".****
>
> ** **
>
> For Postcodes the definition which comes up on the "Propose Revisions"
> screen is simply "Database of postcodes / zipcodes and their corresponding
> geolocations."  A key point to ensure consistency is what constitutes
> "geolocation"?****
>
> ** **
>
> For Government Spending the definition is "Government spending at a
> detailed transactional level, that is at the level of month to month
> government expenditure including money spent on specific contracts or with
> specific vendors."  For at least one country the link is to a (very good
> and extensive) *contract* database, which meets the contract point but does
> not seem to give detailed, month by month, transactions.  (Perhaps we
> should also have an additional dataset category for "contracts", but that
> it is a different point)****
>
> ** **
>
> Are more extensive definitions available for this and other datasets,
> either as formal statements or in guidance derived from discussion on
> mailing lists etc please?  I cannot find anything much in the archives of
> this list.****
>
> ** **
>
> Regards****
>
> ** **
>
> Andrew****

С уважением,
  Иван Бегтин

Директор НП "Информационная культура"
email: ibegtin at infoculture.ru
phone: +7 499 500 96 58, +7 910 426 68 83
website: http://infoculture.ru