[Open-data-census] Information about the status of FOI-Legislation in Census countries

Tim Davies (Web Foundation) timdavies at webfoundation.org
Sun Oct 20 17:52:44 BST 2013

Hello Daniela,

We will have data on FOI legislation in the Open Data Barometer dataset
which is also due to be released later this month:
www.opendatabarometer.org(country coverage list on that page).

We'll be publishing all the Barometer data under an open license, and we've
tried to align methodologies with Census in a way that can support future
mash-ups and cross-analysis of this data with Census data, and with the
wider data on the ICT and political environment in different countries that
will be in the 2013 World Wide Web Index (www.thewebindex.org) which should
be out in late November.

The other sources of data on FOI and freedoms which you might want to look
at are: http://www.rti-rating.org/ and the Freedom House rankings (
http://www.freedomhouse.org/).

All best wishes

Tim Davies
Research Coordinator
Exploring the Emerging Impacts of Open Data in Developing Countries project
www.opendataresearch.org

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Daniela Mattern
<daniela.mattern at it3s.org>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am continuing to look at census data and wonder about the correlation
> between
>
> number of open data sets and the existence and quality of Freedom of
> Information Legislation.
>
> Do we have this data?
>
> It would be awesome, if country editors could provide information on the
> availability of Freedom of Information Acts in their country, inform the
> date when these Acts passed congress, etc. It would also be interesting to
> have a link to the full text of the legislation.
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Is it easy to include these fields in the census form? if not, a simple
> Google Form could also help out.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon,
>
> Daniela
>
> p.s. dreaming a bit further: recently I got to know the comparitive
> constitutions project <http://comparativeconstitutionsproject.org/>funded by Google.org. The application is available here:
> https://www.constituteproject.org
> I asked myself whether it won't be interesting to compare the different
> FOI Acts in a similar way. By doing so, we could:
>

>    - provide an ideal framework for access to information legislation
>     - compare till what extend the text in the specific country is close
>    to this ideal
>    - advocate for change in countries that have very poor legislations
>    - monitor the legislative process in countries that are still
>    discussing there Freedom of Information Acts
>
> What do you think?
>
> --
> Daniela Mattern
> Coordenadora Geral
> IT3S - Instituto de Fomento à Tecnologia do Terceiro Setor
> Fone: 0055-11-36285787
> Celular: 0055-11-987 356 563
>
> Siga nosso Twitter <https://twitter.com/#%21/it3s> | Acompanhe nosso
> Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/IT3S.org>
> prestandocontas.org
> maps.mootiro.org <http://mootiro.org>
> it3s.org

Tim Davies
Research Coordinator, Open Data Research Network
+44 7834 856 303
@timdavies | @odrnetwork | www.opendataresearch.org

*World Wide Web Foundation | 1889 F Street NW, Washington DC, 20006, USA |
www.webfoundation.org | Twitter: @webfoundation*