[Open-data-census] Why getting your local community involved in the Open Data Census is important

Christian Villum christian.villum at okfn.org
Mon Aug 4 14:39:02 UTC 2014

Dear all,

One of our newer Census Editors recently asked about the rationale for
involving people (the community) in submitting datasets. The Census is a
community driven tool, so getting the community involved is one of the main
objectives for editors (and other open data proponents who supports the
growth of the census). But why? That's a simple, but very good question.

While this has been discussed often in peripheral ways over the last couple
of years here on the list, I don't believe we documented this enough in our
documentation - so that new editors (who might not read the backlog of
emails on the list) will know exactly why getting their local community
engaged is so important.

I would love to hear from the list on this, so that we can add to the
FAQ/documentation.

Here's my own take: Getting the local community involved is important on
one hand because it eases the workload of the editors (you guys), but also
because it becomes easier to make accurate assessments and write sound
argumentation notes when you have a group of people to discuss with (and
reach consensus with). Thirdly also because being involved teaches those
people about the open (and closed) data around them; often inspiring them
to join the local open data community in other ways as well. Finally,
approaching local governments to get certain types of open data on the
agenda becomes easier if there is a movement behind such demands rather
than only a few select individuals (however capable they might be).

What else should we highlight?

-Christian

--

Christian Villum