[Open-data-census] Fwd: Global open data index - Change of country scores in the 'Government Spending' category

Mor Rubinstein mor.rubinstein at okfn.org
Mon Dec 1 21:44:39 UTC 2014

Hello all,

Over the weekend we have made some thoroughly thematic review of our
datasets. On dataset that was the most confusing was the Government
spending one. While we asked for transactional data, most of you reported
about aggregated expenditure data or tenders data, which is not in the
scope of the Index.

What is the difference?

- *Transactional data *is data that shows transaction between the
government and a vendor. It contains the following fields:
* Date
* Ministry or unit that got the service
* Vendors / entity name
* The amount that was spend.

This is a list or a table of transactions for each ministry. This data is
in the micro level, and help us to track the actual use of the money.

 A good example for this data can be found in the UK data portal -
http://data.gov.uk/dataset/financial-transactions-data-national-measurement-office

- *Aggregated data - *is data that specify how much money each office spend
monthly. This data is macro level data, and does give names of the
companies or how the money was used. This is not Spending data, It usually
looks like this:
http://www.treasury.govt.nz/government/financialstatements/monthend/archive

*- Tenders data - *gives information about tenders that won future
contracts, but does not actually explains if the tender did happen or not
and how much money was exactly use  (because it might be paid in different
instalments). There are other transactions that might happens in
procurement which are not government spending. It is important data, but
not what we are looking for in the index.

Please take a look at the data we submitted for your country in this
category and reply to us back if you think did anything wrong in the next *24
*hours.

Best,
Mor