[Open-data-census] Fwd: Global open data index - Change of country scores in the 'Government Spending' category

Ivan Begtin ibegtin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 09:12:15 UTC 2014

Hello Mor.

In Russia we have much more detailed information about government spending.
It includes:
- budgets of each government owned enterprise and any other organization
- contracts of all government bodies and all owned government enterprises
- detailed information about each *payment transaction* for each contract
- all local (municipal) level contracts
- government contract texts and performance documents

and so on.

So, is the transactions data enough for measurement of government spending
openness? Probably it's time to include other data types from OCDS (Open
contracting data standard) principles ?

Best Regards,
   Ivan Begtin

> Hello all,
>
> Over the weekend we have made some thoroughly thematic review of our
> datasets. On dataset that was the most confusing was the Government
> spending one. While we asked for transactional data, most of you reported
> about aggregated expenditure data or tenders data, which is not in the
> scope of the Index.
>
> What is the difference?
>
> - *Transactional data *is data that shows transaction between the
> government and a vendor. It contains the following fields:
> * Date
> * Ministry or unit that got the service
> * Vendors / entity name
> * The amount that was spend.
>
> This is a list or a table of transactions for each ministry. This data is
> in the micro level, and help us to track the actual use of the money.
>
>  A good example for this data can be found in the UK data portal -
> http://data.gov.uk/dataset/financial-transactions-data-national-measurement-office
>
> - *Aggregated data - *is data that specify how much money each office
> spend monthly. This data is macro level data, and does give names of the
> companies or how the money was used. This is not Spending data, It usually
> looks like this:
> http://www.treasury.govt.nz/government/financialstatements/monthend/archive
>
> *- Tenders data - *gives information about tenders that won future
> contracts, but does not actually explains if the tender did happen or not
> and how much money was exactly use  (because it might be paid in
> different instalments). There are other transactions that might happens
> in procurement which are not government spending. It is important data, but
> not what we are looking for in the index.
>
> Please take a look at the data we submitted for your country in this
> category and reply to us back if you think did anything wrong in the next *24
> *hours.
>
> Best,
> Mor

Best Regards,
   Ivan Begtin

Director of NGO "Informational Culture"
email: ibegtin at infoculture.ru
phone: +7 499 500 96 58, +7 910 426 68 83
website: http://infoculture.ru