[Open-data-census] Dilemmas in running a City Census

Silviu Vert silviu.vert at gmail.com
Wed May 7 14:58:10 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We are preparing to launch the City Open Data Census in Romania and we are
struggling with some dilemmas around setting up the census. Maybe some of
you that already experienced these issues can express a perspective on the
following:

1) What do you do if some local datasets are to be found at the central
level? For example, in Romania, the local election results are processed
all together and exposed by a central institution, the Permanent Electoral
Authority. Do you just put the same exact evaluation for each city in your
list, pointing out to the central dataset? Can this be considered relevant
for the evaluation and comparison between cities?

2) What is your experience with the number of cities when starting the
census? Do you prefer to put just a few cities at the beginning, for
simplification? Do you find it overwhelming to have tens of cities in the
list from the beginning? What about the number of datasets: does it have
any influence at the start of the census?

We welcome any input on these questions.

Thanks,
Silviu

Romania City Census administrator