[Open-data-census] Wrong number of countries in the Census

Graeme Jones jonesiom at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 09:17:06 UTC 2014

Sander, I like the UK youtube video and the EU one -- actually there
is probably a venn diagram on open government too!

Perhaps the French overseas departments are more like UK local
authorities if they do not have a "national" parliament and just share
the same laws of France -- and it appears that France bypasses any
additional EU/EEA/EFTA costs of membership.

I think important legal distinctions such as commonwealth independence
and meaningful devolution (devo max / devo manx) are key differences.

I imagine 45% that voted yes to independence in Scotland already
considered Scotland a country and potentially an important percentage
of the 55% that voted no too that doubted the presented "national"
numbers.

The Isle of Man actually has the oldest continuous parliament in the
world (over 1000 years old and ironically from Norway rule not UK
rule) and the power to introduce faster new/amended laws/regulations
is a key point of successful external jurisdictions.  For example, the
Isle of Man was crowned the bitcoin capital of the world recently by a
key investor and I was able to incorporate a company with bitcoin
shares, the first in the world, specifically due to different laws to
the UK.

The UK reinvoices the Isle of Man something like £2.8m per year for
"national" services such as the EU, UN, embassies, consulates, etc.
Perhaps that is a key difference with France overseas departments and
most UK overseas territories (i.e. rebranded from the unpalatable
Crown colonies)?