[Open-data-census] scoring budgets

Uldis Bojars captsolo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 13:54:53 UTC 2014

On 7 November 2014 13:48, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

>> But one expert has an opinion, that data for this year are sufficient -
>> as they represent a plan for this year in 3 phases - estimates, changes,
>> actual expenditure (which is updated quaterly). From this point of view,
>> our data would be scored as available, machine readable and available in
>> bulk, just not available on timely basis.

Based on the definition of the Budget dataset even just having the official
budget plans (w/o actual expenditure) should be enough the say that the
dataset is available:

"National government budget at a high level (e.g. spending by sector,
department etc). This category is about *budgets* which are government
*plans* for expenditure (not actual expenditure in the past)."

I get his point,but I wonder whether such result would be comparable with
>> for example New Zealand, who will get very similar score for publishing
>> data for 2015 http://www.treasury.govt.nz/budget/2015 (and therefore,
>> much more useful in terms of future expenditure).
>>

> As explained above I would be scoring on the general availability of this
> dataset (including for previous years). If the data is not timely mark that
> in the last question about "timely and up to date". At the same time,
> obviously if the budget had not been provided for the last 10 years then
> that would be different and one would probably mark as not available.

The data has to be created before it can be published. Thus, if the state
budget is published as open data within a reasonable time from when it was
officially approved, it should qualify as "timely and up to date".

In some countries 2015 budgets may still be in development, hence we can
only judge update timeliness from when previous year budgets were published.

Uldis