[Open-data-census] Wrong number of countries in the Census

Christian Villum villum at autofunk.dk
Fri Oct 31 15:21:14 UTC 2014

Hi Pierre,

We are actually not referring to any list of countries (as they per
definition will always be politically sensitive), and that is why we are
referring to entries as 'places' rather than 'countries'. As a rule of
thumb, if a geographic area ("place") has any level of independence or/and
self-governance, and - of course - data being made available, then it could
be relevant for inclusion. Above all, however, is the necessity of someone
in that given place to want to work on that place. It's a grey zone of
course, but we do not want to make political judgements on sovereignty.

For the Index 2014 presentation we'll likely cut out some countries if
there are no submissions. This is not because of lack of recognition of
those countries, but simply because there have been no one in that place to
submit or review datasets.

-Christian