[Open-data-census] Customized Questions and Scores

Oleg Lavrovsky, Opendata.ch oleg.lavrovsky at opendata.ch
Sat Feb 7 08:12:55 UTC 2015

Hi Waldo,

Quick precision: actually the questions are editable (just fork this
spreadsheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqR8dXc6Ji4JdE1QUS1qNjhvRDJaQy1TbTdJZDMtNFE#gid=3>)
in theory without changing the underlying code. However, the instructions
<http://census.okfn.org/doc/#configuring-your-census> rather ominously say:

*We strongly recommend against customizing the questions. The app may well
break if you change the questions.*

So it could be a case of raising an issue
<https://github.com/okfn/opendatacensus/issues?q=questions+is%3Aopen> about
this to find out what exactly is the problem (hard coded IDs, etc.) and
making the project more generic.

A word of warning, you said it first: as with OpenSpending, one of the
fundamental goals of the Census is a basis for comparability between global
and local evaluations. Deviating from the question format will make your
census less relevant internationally. Please consider advocating for, and
working with the core team, on revising the approach across the board.

Secondly, we have been slowly starting a similar effort here to compare
Cantons and Cities, and there is still some resistance / misunderstanding
of the Census methodology. I think some improvements could be made in the
way the project is documented. I.e. I think we and the community could
really do more to pool our experience.

Lastly, there have already been over 45 forks of the code, and it looks
like Code for America is doing active development
<https://github.com/codeforamerica/opendatacensus/commits/services>. If
you're not the same team, you should get in touch :)

Cheers,
Oleg

*Opendata.ch* - Swiss Chapter of Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/>