[open-data-day] Open Data Day - Mozilla Webmaker (Victoria)

David Eaves david at eaves.ca
Tue Dec 18 21:17:24 GMT 2012

Hi Emma,

I know that Herb had been talking about organizing an event in Victoria (although notice nothing posted to the wiki so far) so I might consider reaching out to him (I've cced him on this email but know he also subscribes to this list.

In terms of data available in the capital region of BC, Canada there are links that might be helpful.

The BC government has a robust open data portal.
Saanich has a very small Open Data Portal
And the Federal Government has its open data portal

One thing I'm working on is getting budget data from some the local government (basically just copying and pasting it out of various PDF documents) and then thinking about visualizing it using openspending.org. It is a super simple but very cool tool.

That is the other thing, scrapping interesting data can be a great way to get something that might be of interest…

Is this helpful?

Dave