[open-data-day] Apps for Europe, join us @ OKCon

Ivonne Jansen-Dings ivonne at waag.org
Thu Aug 15 16:10:00 BST 2013

Hello Everybody,

For those of you involved in open data competitions, events and hackathons, I would like to inform you about the Apps for Europe project, which is aiming to help transform open data into viable business. At OKCon this year we are holding meetup to inform you on the progress we have made and get your feedback.

Meetup date: 18th of September
Location: OKCon conference, Geneva, CICG building, Rue de Varembé 15
Let us know if you are joining us at OKCon: http://appsforeurope.eventbrite.com

Note: The meetup is part of the OKCon conference, tickets therefore need to be purchased at www.okcon.org

# Business Lounge, turing data into business

In the past year Apps for Europe has created and implemented a Business Lounge format that attracts the world of investors to open data competitions, hackathons and events. Check out the description of the Amsterdam Business Lounge to get an idea of the format:

http://www.wired.com/beyond_the_beyond/2013/06/apps-for-europe/
http://www.appsforeurope.eu/blog/latest-business-lounge-amsterdam-success
http://openstate.eu/2013/06/app-developers-will-visit-business-lounge-apps-for-europe/

And our interview with Neelie Kroes on the relevance of the Apps for Europe network:
http://waag.org/en/news/neelie-kroes-and-marleen-stikker-conversation

# Apps for Europe network, join us!

The Apps for Europe network currently connects over 20 organizations throughout Europe that are actively involved in creating open data events and hackathons. In the past 6 months we have been working together in creating a support network to help open data startups go to the next level and become sustainable businesses.

If you are involved with open data in your area, join our network! Let us know which open data events and hackathons you are organizing and we can help you support the developers and entrepreneurs in your network!

Interested in joining? Please contact Ivonne Jansen-Dings, ivonne at waag.org, Skype: wateenidee.

# Competition

Next to a support network Apps for Europe is also a competition, trying to find the top open data startups and help them scale their applications. Every Business Lounge selects one winner who will join us at the European Business Lounge at Future Everything festival, March 2014. There the top open data developers get the change to meet the international investor community and talk about the potential of their app on an EU level.

The competition will also soon open up to all open data developers and entrepreneurs. From the entries an additional 10 to 15 potentials will be selected to join the Future Everything Business Lounge. So even if you are not hosting a Business Lounge yourself, you can help your open data community connect to the project.

The website is currently still in beta, but will contain all relevant info shortly. We hope to see you at OKCon and will inform you about the details of the meetup soon!

On behalf of the Apps for Europe consortium,

Ivonne Jansen-Dings
Karen van der Moolen
Marc Boonstra

Ivonne Jansen-Dings