[open-data-day] The Open Knowledge Foundation's events on Open Data Day 2013 – wrapped-up!

Josh Tauberer tauberer at govtrack.us
Sat Mar 2 13:34:49 GMT 2013

Here's what happened in DC:

http://razor.occams.info/blog/2013/03/02/open-data-day-2013-hackathon-recap/

Over*150*developers, data scientists, social entrepreneurs, government
employees, and other open data enthusiasts participated in our event,
first at a kickoff Friday night at Google’s DC headquarters and then at
the Saturday session at The World Bank. Participants worked on local DC
issues, global open source mapping, world poverty, and open government.
Here are some quick links:

    *Video: *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_LcBQuaM1s

    *Photos:*One
    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/katmandoo/sets/72157632877567408/>|Two
    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/87925482@N08/sets/72157632889737965/>

    *Tumblr highlights: *http://www.tumblr.com/blog/opendatadaydc

    *Storified tweets: *http://storify.com/worldbank/opendataday

Our approach to the hackathon was a little different than many others.
Our goals were to strengthen the open data community, to foster
connections between people and between projects, and to emphasizes
problem statements over prototypes and solutions. There was no beer or
pizza at our hackathon, no competitions, and no pressure to produce
outputs. Participants came motivated and stayed focused without needing
to be treated like brogrammers. This created a positive, welcoming, and
highly productive environment.

In the morning Eric Mill (Sunlight Foundation/@konklone
<https://twitter.com/konklone>) ran a several-hours-long*tutorial on
open data*for about 40 participants. Some were new to coding. Others
were project managers (inside and outside of government) who wanted to
learn more about what open data is all about from the ground up. Eric
walked the participants through exploring APIs through the web browser,
using command-line tools, and basic scripting — a very concrete way to
explain the benefits of adding structure to data.

Several projects focused on*local DC issues*: mappingzoning restrictions
<http://bit.ly/13dCJhb> (more
<http://bureauphile.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/open-data-day-versus-legal-codes/>),
graphing public and charterschool enrollment
<http://i.imgur.com/5qxNdhg.jpg> and other education data
<http://imgur.com/SnnApCa>, mappingtrees
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/gwirth/sets/72157632841459992/>by species,
and building adatabase of social service providers
<https://groups.google.com/group/districtcommons/subscribe>.

A large team of map hackers worked on*mapping Kathmandu* in Open Street
Map to aid disaster response, and with their collaborators around the
worldmapped over 7,000 building footprints
<http://mapbox.com/blog/mapping-kathmandu-stats/>.

*Global poverty and international development*was the focus of several
other projects, from building APIs for international development
projectperformance data
<https://mcc.demo.socrata.com/dashboard/countries>tomeasuring poverty in
real time
<http://datakind.org/2013/02/datadive-fight-poverty-corruption-world-bank/>using
Twitter.

The*open government*projects worked on addingsemantic information
<http://namespaces.cato.org/catoxml/>to legislative documents, comparing
legislative documents forsimilarity
<http://stephanis.info/tag/opendataday/>,extracting legal citations
<https://github.com/dvogel/pacer-recap-citations>, cataloging
ourgovernment representatives
<http://api.demofcracymap.org/#get-involved>at the local level,
andbuilding “devops” tools <http://github.com/OpenDataDevOps/minus>for
rapid deployment of VMs that might be useful in government or for open
data researchers.

And there were other projects that don’t fit into any of those
categories, like building Python tools for creating*education curricula*,

The event was organized by me (Josh Tauberer/GovTrack/@JoshData
<https://twitter.com/JoshData>), Eric Mill (Sunlight
Foundation/@konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>), Katherine Townsend
(USAID/@DiploKat <https://twitter.com/DiploKat>), Dmitry Kachaev
(Presidential Innovation Fellow/Millennium Challenge Corporation/@kachok
<https://twitter.com/kachok>), Sam Lee (The World Bank/@OpenNotio
<https://twitter.com/OpenNotion>n), and Julia Bezgacheva (@ulkins
<https://twitter.com/ulkins>/The World Bank).

Thanks go to The World Bank especially, and to Google, the participants
that helped out with registration in the morning, and to everyone who came!

This was DC’s second open data day. Our first was on Dec. 3, 2011 and
was co-hosted by POPVOX (Josh Tauberer) and Wikimedia DC (Katie
Filbert). See what we did on the post-event recap at
https://www.popvox.com/features/opendataday2011. Participants then
worked on improving access to U.S. law, scanning federal spending for
anomalies following Benford’s Law, understanding farm subsidy grants,
building local transit apps, and keeping Congress accountable. Only
about half of the participants were programmers, but everyone found a
way to be involved.

It was also DC’s second international development data day. The last one
was held on December 9, 2012 in the lead-up to the Development DataJam
hosted by White House’s Office of Science & Technology. Those events
primarily served as ideation jams to bring together issue area experts
and data experts to develop new ideas and partner for new solutions.
Experts were sought out to inform the discussions, but anyone with an
interest in open data in development were welcomed and participated.