[open-data-day] The Open Knowledge Foundation's events on Open Data Day 2013 – wrapped-up!

Josh Tauberer tauberer at govtrack.us
Sat Mar 2 22:04:26 GMT 2013

> Have you seen the Hacker news article going around saying hackathons
> are bad?

Yeah. There's been a lot of that, and questions like "does open gov do
any good?", lately.

When Eric and I started planning the event last year, we started with
low-level, concrete goals like: welcome non-techies, expand the
community, time-bound the event to a single day. We drew from the
successes of the previous year, and I think we were also informed by the
skepticism around hackathons. (The way I phrased the write-up was
definitely in response to it.) And if solving a real world problem in 8
hours was impossible, why should that be a goal at all? So we nixed
that. We didn't care much about meeting the unreasonably high
expectations of bloggers and journalists.

Anyway... I don't know how Hacker News works. :) Feel free to repost.

- Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)

http://razor.occams.info