[open-data-day] Thoughts from Japan on the new data catalog?

Masahiko SHOJI Shoji at glocom.ac.jp
Mon Mar 4 05:46:12 GMT 2013

Hi, Eric.

Hiroichi Kawashima is one of the co-founders of Open Knowledge
Foundation Japan.  He is a key person of discussion in the government.

Though CKAN data portal site had already been launched by some
volunteers in Japan, preparing national government portal is good
news.

All creative works, include databases, are protected in Japan, but
simple facts are not protected.  Government officials tend to appeal
that most of their work are creative and protected by copyright.  The
reason is that they want to control the usage of data to avoid
accusation and misunderstanding by people.

So, we need rules for exclusion of liability for government to expand
free use of government data.

The Japanese government had been deliberated its own copyright license
to the general public.  However, the government announced to start
cooperation with the Creative Commons. They consider that CC is a
fungible and popular mechanism.

The Agency for Cultural Affairs of the Government will hold a
symposium on March 27.
http://www.bunka.go.jp/chosakuken/seminar/contents_sympo8/index.html

I welcome that open data situation in Japan has been getting better.

Masahiko Shoji
Open Knowledge Foundation Japan

庄司昌彦 Masahiko SHOJI

国際大学GLOCOM 講師/主任研究員