[open-data-manual] Options for text management system for Open Data Manual

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Jul 6 21:42:33 UTC 2011

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you on this Rufus, the mail slipped
by unread.

On 17 June 2011 02:47, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> I know we had a discussion earlier on about text management options
> for the manual. Could you post these on the wiki (I seem to have
> mislaid the location).

I'll do this today. In short:

 - Sphinx
 - Pure Wordpress
 - Booki/Objavi, the system behind FLOSS Manuals
 - GitHub wiki

> Also I'm wondering whether a dual wordpress + sphinx option might not
> be good. We just use wordpress for frontpage and possibly new updates
> and use sphinx for manual itself. Url setup would be like:
>
> http://opendatamanual.org/ <- wordpress

The idea of having a CMS at the landing page is quite neat. It also provides
us with the ability to guide people to the right manual, especially if there
are multiple languages and so forth.

> http://opendatamanual.org/en/ <- english version of manual
> http://opendatamanual.org/de/ <- german version of manual
> etc

+1

Sphinx doesn't seem to provide I18N support. If localisation is important,
then I think we should make sure that we use a technical tool which supports
gettext or something similiar.

> Alternatively if we cannot have different langs at different urls
> (still not completely clear on i18n for the manual) we could have:
>
> http://opendatamanual.org/m/ <- the manual itself

"m" is heavily associated with mobile. Maybe integer increments? That way,
we can release new editions without breaking links.