[open-data-manual] Options for text management system for Open Data Manual

David Nind david.nind at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 12:10:55 UTC 2011

Hi everyone.

Other options to consider:

   - Publican (used by Redhat/Fedora for their documentation) - haven't used
   it before, uses docbook, maybe a bit too 'heavy weight'
   https://fedorahosted.org/publican/
   - Drupal - using book feature, HTML output, maybe a little light
   weight/not exactly the right tool for documentation - it does have the
   'social features' though e.g. commenting, enabling editing, RSS feeds etc,
   however it can be a bit more complex to setup  (I am a Drupal fan by the
   way!)

The type of tool you use depends on the focus you want - having a well
managed manual, making it easy to contribute, having the flexibility to
produce multiple formats in multiple languages from a single source, or a
balance between these.

If Sphinx is working well then I wouldn't change it for the immediate
future.

I think the team has done a great job with the manual.

The other thing I would suggest is developing a 'documentation plan' - but
you may have developed this already.

About me: I am new to open data I would like to help where I can with the
manual.  I only do occasional technical writing as part of my role where I
work.  I work for the government in Wellington, New Zealand.  I'm not an
expert in either open data, or technical writing....

Regards.

David Nind
______________________

Email: david.nind at gmail.com