[open-data-manual] Team update

Tim McNamara tim.mcnamara at okfn.org
Mon Jul 11 06:38:38 UTC 2011

Hi all, here is the first of weekly updates. Lots of interesting material:

   - Pro-tips for learning to contribute
   - Milestone reached
   - Teleconference
   - Changes to website

*Pro-tips for learning to contribute*
*==========================*
*
*
Remember that the place to direct people towards is the Participation
Guide , which currently lives within the project wiki. It includes
information on what you need to install, explains all of the terminology and
how to find an interesting piece of content to work on.

Link: https://bitbucket.org/okfn/opendatamanual/wiki/Participation_Guide
*
*
*
*
*Milestone reached*
*===============*

This week marks quite a special occasion. The Open Data Manual received its
first external contribution from Pablo Mendes (
https://bitbucket.org/pablomendes). It was actually a fix for two very
important points.

First, RDF has been in longstanding use since the 1990s. When I first
drafted the section on it in the manual, I was fairly ignorant of this and
used the weasel word "recently". The fix makes this more specific.

Secondly, it corrects a mistake I made when providing instructions for an
Ubuntu install. We use a tool called Mercurial (
http://mercurial.selenic.com/) for our version control. This is great,
except for the fact that its application is named "hg", the chemical symbol
for mercury ("hydrargyrum"). I was asking people to install "hg", when
actually they should be installing "mercurial".

*Teleconference*
============

This didn't go ahead in the end. Sorry for the extremely notice of the
teleconference last week. Perhaps we should schedule a time for a few weeks?

*Changes to the website*

The landing page of opendatamanual.org will be moving to a
 Wordpressinstall. That should enable us to do things like:

   - create blog posts when updates occur
   - enable us to branch out to multiple different languages easily
   - provide direct links for PDF/other output formats more easily

If you would like to help with this process, send a message to the list.
Input is very welcome.

Tim McNamara