[open-development] Big steps forward in the U.S.

Karin Christiansen info at publishwhatyoufund.org
Fri Dec 17 12:09:40 UTC 2010

_[1]www.PublishWhatYouFund.org _
     Links:
       1. http://www.PublishWhatYouFund.org

   _SEASON'S GREETINGS FROM PUBLISH WHAT YOU FUND_

   This is our last newsletter of 2010 and it’s been an important year for
   global aid transparency.

   On Wednesday the US made aid transparency one of 6 new [2]foundational
   principles for American foreign assistance in the [3]Quadrennial Development
   and Diplomacy Review. And yesterday, the new website
   [4]www.foreignassistance.gov was launched, as a first but important
   practical step to implementing the new [5]aid transparency policy.
     Links:
       2. http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org/news/2010/12/qddr-supports-aid-transparency
       3. http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/153108.pdf
       4. http://www.foreignassistance.gov
       5. http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org/news/2010/12/us-launches-foreign-assistance-dashboard

   Other aid transparency events in Washington, D.C. over the last few weeks
   have included a [6]major panel discussion at Brookings, with the Liberian
   Minister of Finance and senior representatives from USAID, Brookings and the
   Center for Global Development.  We also presented our [7]2010 aid
   transparency assessment in another productive and high level discussion at
   the World Bank. The summary and presentation can be found [8]here.
     Links:
       6. http://www.brookings.edu/events/2010/1209_foreign_assistance.aspx
       7. http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org/resources/assessment
       8. http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org/news/2010/12/aid-transparency-assessment-presented-washington-dc

   Looking forward to 2011, there are two critical moments for aid
   transparency. In February key stakeholders will meet to finalise and agree
   implementation timelines for the [9]International Aid Transparency
   Initiative. And in November the High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness in
   Busan, South Korea will review the progress of global effectiveness and
   transparency of aid.
     Links:
       9. http://www.aidtransparency.net

   We look forward to working with you throughout next year, a year in which we
   hope to see the international commitment to aid transparency shifting from
   rhetoric to reality.

   Happy and restful holidays.

   _MORE NEWS THIS MONTH_

   The beginning of December was a busy time in Brussels:
   The EU Foreign Affairs Council made important new [10]commitments to make
   both European Commission and EU Member States’ aid more transparent.
     Links:
       10. http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org/news/2010/12/eu-commits-increase-aid-transparency

   The [11]Reality of Aid 2010 Report was presented, [12]highlighting aid
   transparency’s central role in improving development effectiveness.
     Links:
       11. http://www.realityofaid.org/roareports/index/part/1
       12. http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org/news/2010/12/aid-transparency-reality-aid-2010-report

   The [13]2010 Humanitarian Response Index was launched, [14]analysing donor
   governments’ response to humanitarian crises in 14 countries.
     Links:
       13. http://www.daraint.org/humanitarian-response-index/humanitarian-response-index-2010
       14. http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org/news/2010/12/2010-humanitarian-response-index-launched-today

   And on 19 November, the UK government [15]released all data on central
   government spending above £25 000 – totalling around £80bn of the annual
   £670bn spend. Publish What You Fund attended the launch event, where Francis
   Maude MP said “We are moving from need to know to right to know”.
     Links:
       15. http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org/news/2010/11/transparency-central-government-spending

_GET IN TOUCH_

   [16]info at publishwhatyoufund.org
     Links:
       16. mailto:info at publishwhatyoufund.org

   [17]Follow us on Twitter
     Links:
       17. http://twitter.com/aidtransparency

   [18]Become a fan
     Links:
       18. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?

   [19]Subscribe to our updates
   UPCOMING EVENTS
     Links:
       19. http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org/feed

   [20]World Economic Foum Annual Meeting 26 - 30 January, Davos
     Links:
       20. http://www.weforum.org/en/events/AnnualMeeting2011/index.htm

   [21]IATI Partner Country Meeting 8 February, Paris
     Links:
       21. http://www.aidtransparency.net/events/iati-partner-country-meeting-8th-february-2011

   [22]IATI Steering Committee Meeting 9 February, Paris
     Links:
       22. http://www.aidtransparency.net/events/iati-steering-committee-meeting-9th-february-2011

   _THIS MONTH'S RECOMMENDATION_
    Stay on top of international development with the most comprehensive news
   source courtesy of [23]Devex. Top international development headlines from
   the world's leading donors, news sources and opinion leaders e-mailed to you
   FREE every business day. Try it. _[24]Sign up here_.
   And keep an eye out for the new_ Aid Transparency Blog_ coming to Devex in
   the new year.
     Links:
       23. http://www.devex.com
       24. http://www.devex.com/en/development_newswire

   [25]view email in browser | [26]unsubscribe | [27]update your profile |
     Links:
       25. http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=1ed69ef02e1bafb8d4f43b1fa&id=298a78882c&e=c62a864d1b
       27. http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org/updates/profile

   Publish What You Fund only records the data required to communicate with you
   effectively and will not disclose any information to third parties

   Publish  What  You Fund is hosted by TIRI: 1 London Bridge, Downstream
   Building  3^rd  Floor,  London  SE1  9BG, UK. +4420 7022 1905. Charity
   Registration Number: 1120927

   Friend
     Links:
       29. http://publishwhatyoufund.us1.list-manage.com/profile?u=1ed69ef02e1bafb8d4f43b1fa&id=aac4cc52ea&e=c62a864d1b