[open-development] [BetterAid] Sign up to the Open Letter to Obama on forming American aid - Deadline Extended Until 7/29

Long, Carolyn CLong at INTERACTION.ORG
Mon Jul 26 14:40:37 UTC 2010

Dear Karin and Colleagues,

InterAction is an active member of the Modernizing Foreign Aid Network (MFAN).  We and many of our members have signed the letter Karin has sent.  I didn't know signatures from outside the US were being sought but if so, many thanks, Karin, for sending this to Better Aid members.  The more signatures, the better.

Best,
Carolyn

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CB2CAE.FC00E5C0]
Carolyn Long | Director of Global Partnerships
InterAction | A United Voice for Global Change
1400 Sixteenth Street, NW, Suite 210 * Washington, DC 20036
202-552-6539  www.InterAction.org<http://www.interaction.org/>

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CB2CAE.FC00E5C0]<http://www.facebook.com/interaction.org>[cid:image003.jpg at 01CB2CAE.FC00E5C0]<http://twitter.com/interactionorg> Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

From: betteraid-bounces at betteraid.org [mailto:betteraid-bounces at betteraid.org] On Behalf Of Karin Christiansen
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:42 PM
To: euaidwatch at lists.terveilm.net; BetterAid at betteraid.org; UK Aid Network; open-development
Cc: Reyes, Catalina; Rothenberg, Jenni
Subject: [BetterAid] Sign up to the Open Letter to Obama on forming American aid - Deadline Extended Until 7/29

 Dear All, with apologies for cross posting.

There are efforts afoot in the US to modernise and reform how America gives aid.  As one of the largest donors in the world, this of course impacts on the whole aid and development system as well as many recipient countries of course.  Consequently, the Modernising Foreign Assistance Network would welcome sign us from beyond the US to ask President Obama to deliver on his commitments.  To sign up or with questions, please contact: Jenni Rothenberg, MFAN's Outreach Coordinator, at jrothenberg at modernizingforeignassistance.org<mailto:jrothenberg at modernizingforeignassistance.org> or call her at +1 202-464-8191.

The Open Letter text, and the 100+ organizations and people who have signed up are both below.

Dear Mr. President,

Right now, your leadership is needed to bring U.S. foreign assistance into the 21st Century, so that we can more effectively use taxpayer dollars to drive greater results for people in need.
I urge you to follow through on your pledge to "modernize [U.S.] foreign assistance" with two important actions:

-          Create America's first-ever Global Development Strategy, to provide our nation with a clear roadmap for reducing global poverty.

-          Partner with Congress to rewrite the existing, Cold War-era Foreign Assistance Act and build a stronger foundation for all U.S. development efforts.

Reform is within reach, and I pledge to support you as you strengthen the U.S. commitment to development.

Please do consider signing, this is a very good cause.

Best
Karin

--
Karin Christiansen