[open-development] Fwd: [open-government] Who wants to run an OGDCamp satellite event around 17-26th October in Warsaw?

Tim Davies tim at timdavies.org.uk
Sat Aug 20 10:23:44 UTC 2011

Hello Ruth,

Great :) I've managed to confirm I should be able to get to the OGD Camp in
Warsaw, so also in for helping run something.

How's this for a proposal:

*(Draft) Open Data for Development Workshop *- Saturday 22nd October -
Warsaw

A one-day workshop exploring actions needed to build an open data ecology to
support International Development. Including sessions on:

   - ***The case for open development data** *- exploring the potential of
   open data to support development.

   - ***Ensuring open data supports pro-poor development** *- looking at
   some of the risks from a focus on open data and exploring critical
   perspectives that open data for development needs to take into account;
   identifying strategies and principles for pro-poor open data for
   development.

   - ***Open data for development in practice*** - hands-on work to build
   the open data for development eco-system

   - ***Sustaining open data public goods*** - how do we make sure the data
   that makes connects between datasets; key reference data; hosting for those
   who can't afford to host their own data; data catalogues and other tools
   that bring open development data to life have a sustainable future?

I'm thinking a mixture of seminar/discussion sessions and hands-on work. We
could either do this all together as a single track, or try and get a space
with two rooms, so one can be a 'hack room' and the other a space for
thematic discussions / presentations etc.

So - with the proposal above as a bit of a straw man (this is just off the
top of my head...):

   - Is anyone else in and interested in getting involved? - I think we
   would need a good few organisations joining in to make this a viable
   workshop...
   - What else should a session include / how else could/should it work?

All the best

Tim

--

+44 (0)7834 856 303