[open-development] OECD Development Assistance Committee Open Data?

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 09:10:17 UTC 2011

Hey all

I'm working on a demonstrator tool to explore some of the recently released
DFID IATI (International Aid Transparency Initiative) data - and the IATI
data makes a lot of use of code lists, particularly from OECD's Development
Assistance Committee (http://oecd.org/dac/).

As far as I can tell (and from asking others who have been working to create
the DFID data), the code lists (for Rio Markers; Sector Codes etc.) are not
published by OECD in any easily open form - instead being scattered across
spreadsheets, word documents and PDFs, with somewhat confusing revision
histories (hard to work out if you're working with the most recent version).

OECD also have a significant library of aid data.

Is anyone aware of initiatives in OECD / DAC on open data? Or at least
exposing data in more consistent and structured ways?

It strikes me that for open development data initiatives - having a stable
maintained place for DAC code lists etc - could be pretty useful...

Tim