[open-development] Kenya Open Data Portal

Stephen Davenport sdavenport at developmentgateway.org
Fri Jul 8 13:40:18 UTC 2011

Hi. Steve Davenport. Development Gateway.

FYI. This was the first launch for the Open Data work in Kenya and took
quite a bit of political/wrangling pushing to achieve. The developer focus
is due in part to the people and teams that build it.

There is also the fact that in Kenya you have a strong developer
community/civil society that wants to build apps and lacks data (Ushahidi,
SODNET, Huduma Poject, etc.) and this site is reflecting that need (rightly
so). Too often we build portals and transparency data tools for the "North
to watch the South" etc.

I am new to this mailing list so forgive me but "open data" is not enough.
Accessibility, packaging, and contextual info is critical. The people we
really need to use it can't if its a big data file.

Word is that 7-8 more countries will go in this direction in the next 12
months.

Steve