[open-development] Kenya Open Data Portal

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 13:53:14 UTC 2011

Hey Steve,

Welcome to the mailing list. Really good to have your involvement here :)

It will certainly be interesting to see the learning that comes out of the
process getting this project off the group - it is a great achievement for
all involved - no question about that.

I think my concern is that sites very often portray data releases as if the
only way data can be made useful to citizens is through the mediation of
developers and though 'applications': yet data transparency is about a lot
more than that. In looking at many different uses of UK government data last
year I found a lot were from citizens directly accessing facts and figures:
http://practicalparticipation.co.uk/odi/report/2010/4-2-ogd-use-in-practice-rq2/and
there is as much to be done to support the actors who can benefit from
this, and to foster diverse communities of data users, as there is to be
done to support the developer community.

So, it's definitely a case of agreeing "open data" is not enough, and
absolutely agreeing that developers have a big role to play in making some
data accessible, but also a case of trying to make sure we don't narrow the
way public data is perceived to see it only as a raw material for building
applications - but to recognise that data is used in many diverse ways and
is relevant for many more actors to access directly, from grassroots
citizens activists, to officials inside government who are quite happy to
sift through 100s of lines of spreadsheets to find the fact they need, even
if, in an ideal world, there would be an application that made that easier.

So we should be framing open data as for everyone, celebrating the
developers who make it extra-accessible - but making sure non-developers
don't have to wait around for apps and tools before they feel they can dig
in and work with the fantastic resources being made available...

Tim