[open-development] Fwd: Call for participiation

Guo Xu guo.xu at okfn.org
Thu Jun 16 09:50:56 UTC 2011

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your mail - I hope you don't mind that I CC the list as our
conversation might be interesting for others as well.

Your idea sounds very interesting and is certainly worthwhile
exploring - the Open Economics group is certainly not dead; in fact,
we are just getting started and considering how to allocate our
resources for the next projects, so your new idea is very welcome.

Three points to from my side for now:

1) In terms of economics, your idea fits well into the (new) "new
economic geography" literature on locational decisions and
agglomerations. The spatial dimension has also received a lot of
attention in development policy, and there are initiatives that
started mapping rural areas in developing countries (Wikimapia, see
http://www.researchintouse.com/resources/ext/ibm0904folksomaps-ictd.pdf).
There are also projects where people have started mapping rural areas
by setting up house numbers and "postcodes" themselves - that said,
I'm CC'ing the development list as you might also want to get in touch
with them.

2) Could you add your idea to the OKF incubator?
http://ideas.okfn.org/ ? This might help get some additional feedback
-

3) Finally, feel free to drop in during our Skype conversation next
week - please drop me your Skype id (in private) so I can add you to
the session. We will be discussing/brainstorming for coming projects
so it might be a good opportunity for you to join in and meet the
others.

Again, thanks a lot!

Guo

PS: I'm also based in Berlin at the moment, but English is better for
the list :)