[open-development] Good news for open aid data in Busan

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 14:23:55 UTC 2011

Hey all,

You might have spotted some of the news coming out of the High Level Aid
Effectiveness Forum in Busan:
http://www.aidinfo.org/us-announce-their-commitment-to-aid-transparency-initiative.html

With Canada (thanks in no small part to some great campaigning by Engineers
Without Borders), the USA, the UK's CDC, and the Inter-American Development
Bank now committed to publishing open data on their aid activities using
the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) standard, over 75% of
global Official Development Finance is soon to be covered by IATI open data.

It's really good news to build on all the releases of open aid data that
have come over the last week and which you can find at the newly updated
http://www.iatiregistry.org - and means that the principle of transparent
access to data on aid activities really has crossed the tipping point to
becoming part of the mainstream of aid.

Of course, there is loads of work still to do - using open aid data as the
foundation for prototypes, products and platforms to support more
intelligent and effective development. I've tried to update
http://www.aidinfolabs.org with details all the different ways IATI data is
now being made available and used (including through an updated
IATIExplorer.org, and a prototype tablet interface for browsing project
data - http://www.aidview.net) and there are some challenges up at
http://www.aidinfolabs.org/archives/773 for what could be done with IATI
data as part of Open Data Day events this weekend.

What else should we be doing to build upon this weeks good news on open
data for development?

Tim

--
http://www.timdavies.org.uk