[open-development] Hosting Open Development

Jose M. Alonso josema at webfoundation.org
Fri Sep 16 07:46:12 UTC 2011

Let me add a short story I mentioned at some talks.

1TB USB Drives go for some €100 now (at least around here in Spain). In a conversation with a former government client, we discussed about the costs of setting up an Open Data infrastructure. And we stuck at data storage cost. For him, 1TB costed €18,000. Why that? Well, it's government data, should be safe, secure, replicated in at least two data centers at least 30Km away from each other, etc., etc.

We then went into the discussion around Quality of Service. People outside government should be able to build a business on top of Open Data, hence you need to provide them with good quality information, good APIs, good response times, etc., etc.

I faced these questions (and many others related to this topic) several times. It's not as easy nor cheap as one could think.

Josema.

--

Jose M. Alonso
Program Manager, Open Data