[open-development] Hosting Open Development

Patrick Anderson agnucius at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 02:50:21 UTC 2011

Tobias Eigen wrote:
> it doesn't necessarily cost alot to host open data.

I doesn't seem expensive, but many people just do
not know how to administer a web-site, and could
hardly be expected to deal with complexities and/or
extra expense of exposing their IP to others...

I'm also, in the end, talking about ownership of the
ISP and wires and cables and fiber and satellites,
and ALL the Physical Sources required to host our
GNU Free Culture.

We pay more than cost when we do not co-own the
Physical Sources (the material assets) needed to
host any and all types of production.

Many people (including my parents) cannot afford
the expense of connecting to the internet or the
excessive fees of the cell-phone industry.

Imagine a village deploys a simple 802.11n phone
network for it's own purposes - where the members
pay all the costs but do not pay Profit because they
do not even buy the Product - they own it already!

But more immediately we can collectively co-own
the computers of a datacenter to make file-sharing
and things like email available for 'Freedom' ...

But first we will need to develop a legally binding
Social Contract that we can apply to those assets
to constrain ourselves in a manner similar to the
goals of the GNU GPL - but instead of using
Copyright to enforce Copyleft, we will be using
Property Rights to enforce Property Left.

Patrick Anderson
http://ImputedProduction.Blog.com