[open-development] Development stream at the Open Knowledge Festival 2012 in Helsinki - contacts to Finland

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Sat Feb 18 15:26:24 UTC 2012

Hello Jussi,

I'm not aware of other Finns in the network - but others may be able to
raise their hands. Finland is a participant in the International Aid
Transparency Initiative - so I can try and find out who we might contact
through that to get involved.

Perhaps we could think about having a planning meeting / skype call some
time in March to bring together Finish and globally based people with an
interest in the open development track?

Would the Finish Institute in London by a good place to host a planning
meeting like that?

All the best

Tim

2012/2/16 Jussi Nissilä <jussi.nissila at finnish-institute.org.uk>

> Dear all,
>
> Let me e-introduce myself first, my name is Jussi and I work at The
> Finnish Institute in London. The institute is one of the Finnish
> organisations working with the OKFN to organise the OKFestival in Helsinki
> 2012. I've some background in development studies and while my current job
> does not directly address these issues I am still working with my long term
> hobby, i.e. doctoral thesis focusing on open source software and
> development informatics.
>
> It's great to see the open development working group is planning something
> for the OKFestival. I'd like to include the Finns in the process, so I
> already contacted the Finnish Society for Development Research and the
> Finnish University Partnership for International Development to get them
> involved. Currently I don't know who'd be the right person to contact at
> the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, but in addition to transparency issues,
> good governance and the information society have been long-term focus areas
> of the Finnish development policy, so I'm optimistic we could get them
> interested as well.
>
> Do you know if any Finns are in the working group? Any other leads, or
> ideas what to propose for the Finns?
>
> Kind regards, Jussi
>
> --
> Jussi Nissilä
> Programme Director, Society
>
> The Finnish Institute | 35-36 Eagle Street | London WC1R 4AQ
> +44 (0) 20 7404 3309
>
> Website: http://www.finnish-institute.org.uk
> Blog: http://blog.finnish-institute.org.uk
> Society Twitter: @fininst_society