[open-development] OKFest: Registrations are open and Hans Rosling confirmed as keynote speaker!

Pernilla Näsfors Pernilla.Nasfors at sida.se
Mon Jun 18 23:21:02 UTC 2012

Hello Open Development friends,

Just to let you know: Registrations are now open for the OKFestival! http://okfestival.org/tickets-and-bursaries/
I have bought a ticket for the whole week, but I guess I'll have to negotiate with my boss if I should be there the whole time or not...

I saw on Twitter as well that Hans Rosling - the (world-famous?) Swedish statistician and Professor of International Health will be the keynote speaker! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Rosling) I think that'll be a great boost for our Open Development track! If not anyone else have good contacts with him or Gapminder I'll try to find out what plans he and his foundation Gapminder have for participation. I know a couple of people who knows him at least. :)

I heard that Tim and Linda had talked about that we could try to book accommodation at the same place all of us. What do you say about that? I think it's a good idea! There are several options at http://okfestival.org/accomodation/ so if we act rather quickly I guess it might be possible to find a place where those interested could stay. One of the hostels might be price-worthy? I looked briefly at the different alternatives and I think that the Eurohostel looked really nice: http://www.eurohostel.eu/ It's also close to the Viking Line ferry terminal and we're considering to arrange a pre-conference on a ferry from Sweden. :D
On the other hand http://www.erottajanpuisto.com/eng/ seems to be the most central one and the only one the offers free wifi (not only in the lobby?). The third option, http://www.stadionhostel.fi/cms/?ca=tervetuloa&lang=2 also seemed nice. We at Sida are gonna try to be part of funding Southern participants so perhaps it might also be a good idea to book a few rooms for them, although, we don't know how many and who that'll be yet...

Looking forward to seeing many of you in Helsinki in September!

Best regards,

Pernilla

________________________________

Pernilla Näsfors

Transparency & Social Media Manager
Communications Department
Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida)
SE-105 25 Stockholm
SWEDEN

Phone: + 46 8 698 40 60
Mobile: + 46 702 36 96 83