[open-development] Open Development at Ok Festival: update and planning

Johns, Sarah Sarah.Johns at plan-international.org
Fri May 25 14:47:21 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Just to update you. I sat in on a Skype call for OK Festival Guest Programmers (ie us!), and we need to start motoring on some things.

Main Etherpad for the OpenDev stream: http://opengovernmentdata.okfnpad.org/open-development-okfest2012  and Notes and Actions from Festival Stream Coordinators meeting 25 May: http://okfestival.okfnpad.org/helsinki-meeting-25-may?

ACTIONS NEEDED!

·         Everyone needs to read this please: http://bit.ly/guest_planner_instructions

·         Key note speakers: this needs to be finalised as soon as possible. I’m a bit conscious that we don’t really have a theme other than .. Where Next? So if anyone has a good idea, bring it out into the open!

Tim has approached Warren Krafchik, director of the International Budget Partnership, and Civil Society Co-Chair of the Open Government Partnership, who seems keen if he has free space in his diary. Everyone ok with this? Need two backup ideas. I’d like to see Warren balanced with some who’ll talk about OpenDev from a ‘user’ perspective. What about Robert Chambers talking about power and participation? Not usually seen in OpenDev circles but it’d be great to unite both aspects (government and community) and might attract more development people?

·         Supporting attendance for participants (non EU/US): possible contact for bursary for participants from Asia: Jeurgen Neumann ( http://www.junes.eu<http://www.junes.eu/>, j.neumann[at]junes[dot]eu)  has a contact Sylvia Cadena - ISIF Project Officer at APNIC - http://isif.asia/  that he'd be happy to send info to, for funding delegates from Asia. He needs a one-pager on what the funding would be for. Tim/Mark/Mika/Siem – any movement on creating the one-pager and approaching funders/sponsors? What about using tech to open access out or partnering with iHub in East Africa or something?

·         We need extra hands to team up and organise the three workshops (which can be in any format you choose). The three are:

1. Open development and aid flow. Tim. Also responsible for inviting Open Economics, Open Government streams.
2. Open = accessible?  Dinesh, Sarah, Linda. Also responsible for inviting Open Education and Open Democracy streams.
3.  Technologies for open development. Mark H, Dinesh, Mika, Sarah. Also responsible for inviting Open Source streams.

Please let me know which you’d like to help with.

·         Need to send final confirmation of what other rooms are needed in the next 2 weeks..
Latest schedule showing free spaces here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As1tewsvl857dGVaNDFqdGYyMVFQLVBZYXl2TjVZeEE#gid=7 and photos here: http://www.okfestival.org/venue-photos We’ve already got rooms booked for key note, 3 x workshops and the Hackday on the Thursday. We need to get rooms for the innovations sessions and anything else. Please tell Juha directly what you need.

Also, please would you update me on any developments on the following:

ADDITIONAL TASKS:

2. Organising open innovation sessions on Tues/Weds leading to open hackday on Thursday. Team members: Mark H, Dinesh, Pernillan, Mark B. You need to contact Juha to book spaces for the innovation sessions. Also poss tie in to OpenforChange’s June Open Data for Development camp. I’ve contacted Rolf Kleef to find out what they’re doing and whether they’d be interested in partnering. Mark H is setting up a wiki for collaboration around the hackday.

4. Visit to Plan Finland offices: Mika to organise.

5. Inclusion of Finnish/Estonian NGOs and attending OKFEST meetings in Finland: Mika, Juha as OKFEST contact. I am interested to collaborate on this issue with a perspective of IATI outreach to NGOs (Claudia Schwegmann OKFN Germany)

Thanks!!

Sarah

Sarah Johns

Publishing Team, Plan International
w: www.plan-international.org
a: Dukes Court, Duke Street, Woking, UK. GU21 5BH
s: sarah.johns.plan
t: @GeoGrr

<http://plan-international.org/about-plan/resources/news/75years/>

pplanlana

Any opinions expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the sender only and do not necessarily represent the views of Plan. Internet communications are not secure and Plan accepts no responsibility for the content of this e-mail.

The information contained in this message and any attachments is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to whom the message is addressed. The information may be confidential and, if you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in relation to it.

For the content of this e-mail to be contractually binding, it must be signed by an authorised representative of Plan.

Plan Limited

A Limited Company Registered in England No. 03001663.

Registered Office: Dukes Court, Duke Street, Woking, GU21 5BH, United Kingdom

Plan Limited is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Plan International, Inc.
(a not-for-profit corporation registered in New York State, USA)