[open-development] OKFest: Re: Open Development at Ok Festival: update and planning

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Sun May 27 20:10:21 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Thanks Sarah for the proactive work on this. Some inline responses below,
including link to funding one-pager draft (http://bit.ly/L61Lm0)...

 **·         ***Key note speakers:* this needs to be finalised as soon as
> possible. I’m a bit conscious that we don’t really have a theme other than
> .. Where Next? So if anyone has a good idea, bring it out into the open!

 We could go with something like 'Openness for all' - taking a critical
look at how to ensure the benefits of openness really reach the
grassroots...

 Tim has approached Warren Krafchik, director of the International Budget
> Partnership, and Civil Society Co-Chair of the Open Government Partnership,
> who seems keen if he has free space in his diary. Everyone ok with this?
> Need two backup ideas. I’d like to see Warren balanced with some who’ll
> talk about OpenDev from a ‘user’ perspective. What about Robert Chambers
> talking about power and participation? Not usually seen in OpenDev circles
> but it’d be great to unite both aspects (government and community) and
> might attract more development people?

I really like this idea.

It might fit into the idea of a collaborative keynote or panel discussion
in the main room too. I notice from the schedule for Thursday (
http://bit.ly/JG5TsK) mention of Hans Rosling too - so I wonder if we can
construct a good one or two keynote talks, and then lead into a panel with
some key thinkers bringing in really different perpectives on what open
development means.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> **·         ***Supporting attendance for participants (non EU/US):
> possible contact for bursary for participants from Asia:* Jeurgen Neumann
> ( http://www.junes.eu, j.neumann[at]junes[dot]eu)  has a contact Sylvia
> Cadena - ISIF Project Officer at APNIC - http://isif.asia/  that he'd be
> happy to send info to, for funding delegates from Asia. He needs a
> one-pager on what the funding would be for. Tim/Mark/Mika/Siem – any
> movement on creating the one-pager and approaching funders/sponsors? What
> about using tech to open access out or partnering with iHub in East Africa
> or something?

*I've just drafted a one pager here: http://bit.ly/L61Lm0 *- please do take
a look and make changes direct / add comments / start using with funders
you know.

> ****
>
> ** ·         **We need extra hands to team up and organise the three workshops
> (which can be in any format you choose). The three are:
>
> 1. Open development and aid flow. Tim. Also responsible for inviting Open
> Economics, Open Government streams.

Anyone who can help out do drop me a line. Also would love to hear from
anyone wanting to provide an input into this session to start getting an
idea of how we might structure it.

All the best

Tim